- To foster and promote interest in the historic past of South Africa, particularly of the Eastern Cape Province and more particularly of the Port Elizabeth district.
- The placing of descriptive plaques on buildings or other places of historic interest in Port Elizabeth and district.
- To disseminate the results of its work in the widest possible manner by the publication of a bulletin or journal, or by any other means.
- To undertake the organization of lectures, film showings, exhibitions and visits to local historic sites.
- To co-operate or associate with any other organization whether local or national having similar interests and objectives.